U23s: Leeds United 2-4 Tottenham

Last updated : 23 August 2021 By leedsunited.com

Mark Jackson’s side suffered defeat at home to Tottenham Hotspur, on Monday afternoon at Thorp Arch, despite dominating for large spells throughout the match. 

Joe Gelhardt, lively as usual, had two early chances that were denied by a combination of blocks and saves from the visitors defence and goalkeeper, respectively. Charlie Cresswell then also came close, heading over from a corner. 

When Gelhardt then looked to turn creator, he charged down Joshua Oluwayemi’s goal-kick and played the ball square for Sean McGurk, who saw his effort saved by the recovering ‘keeper. 

Despite the early dominance in the game, Spurs broke free and scored with their first shot of the match. Dilan Markanday controlled from an in-swinging corner and picked his spot, drilling low and hard into the back of the net to give his side the lead. 

The striker was then at it again five minutes later, with his teams second attack of the game, he scored his and their second, too. This time Markanday showed neat footwork around the box before working space, and clinically rifling high into the roof of the net. 

Gelhardt did then get the goal his early work deserved. From Sam Greenwood’s looping cross to the back post, he was there to volley home and reduce the scoreline. 

Amari Miller - having missed a chance moments earlier - would then find the moment to draw his side level. The winger was fouled in the box after going on a neat run, and a penalty was awarded. 

Up stepped Greenwood from 12 yards to power home from the spot despite the goalie guessing the right way. That effort made the scoreline 2-2, shortly before the interval.  

There was still time before the referee’s whistle though, and it was Markanday again who rounded Kristoffer Klaesson this time before finishing it off to get his hat-trick and send his side in ahead. 

HALF TIME: Leeds United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur

Two changes for the Whites at the beginning of the second half saw Crysencio Summerville and Kris Moore introduced, in place of Cresswell and McGurk.  

The pace of Summerville down the wing instantly caused problems, and he saw a powerful strike saved well by Oluwayemi, who was frustrating the Leeds frontline between the posts. 

When Gelhardt then cut inside and struck a curling effort, he did beat the ‘keeper, but was to be denied by crossbar this time. Moments later Summerville again caused the issues with an accurate cross, and in a story of much of the match, Gelhardt again was the forward denied by the visiting goalie.  

With just under 20 minutes remaining, Spurs got their fourth and the final goal of the game when Nile John picked his spot, and curled a strike in off the inside of the post.

A late effort from Greenwood was to be the final chance on goal before the whistle, which went over the bar, and the Whites were defeated on home turf by a clinical Spurs team. 

FULL TIME: Leeds United 2-4 Tottenham Hotspur

Venue: Thorp Arch

Referee: M. Dicicco

Booked: Moore, Bate (Leeds) White (Spurs)

Leeds United 2 (Gelhardt 28’, Greenwood 41’ pen)

Tottenham Hotspur 4 (Markanday 19’, 23’, 45+2’, John 73’)

Leeds: Klaesson, Drameh, Cresswell (Moore 45’), Kenneh, McCarron, Jenkins, Miller (Dean 81’), Bate, Greenwood, McGurk (Summerville 45’), Gelhardt. Subs not used: Van Den Heuvel, Allen.

Spurs: Oluwayemi, Lavinier, Lyons-Foster, Omole, Cesay, John, Craig, White, Clarke (Mundle 65’), Devine, Markanday (Alonso 87'). Subs not used: Hayton, Paskotsi, Walcott.