Papa John's Trophy: Oldham Athletic 2-3 Leeds United U21

Last updated : 29 September 2021 By Kevin Markey

Papa John’s Trophy

Oldham Athletic 2 (Dearnley 78’, Keillor-Dunn 90')

Leeds United U21 3 (Summerville 42’ pen, McGahey og 58’, Dean 80’)

Mark Jackson’s U21s side put in an excellent display away at Sky Bet League Two side Oldham Athletic to claim three points in Northern Group B of the Papa John’s Trophy, meaning they go into the final match of the group stage with a chance of progressing. 

The Whites got the game underway and instantly were on the front foot. Crysencio Summervilel looked lively after looking to sprint past Latics defender, Kyle Jameson, in an early battle between the two.

That match-up was to continue inside the first 10 minutes with Summerville stealing the ball off the defender this time and playing it inside for Sean McGurk, but the Whites attacker struck his effort off target. 

Next to go close in a strong opening 15 minutes for Jackson’s side was Amari Miller. He tested Jayson Leutwiler from the edge of the box but the ‘keeper was equal to it. 

Oldham sprung into life after the 20 minute mark. Jack Stobbs raced forward down the wing and as he progressed into the box, his powerful effort whistled narrowly over.  Liam McCarron then produced an almost carbon copy at the other end, but his strike was wide. 

Approaching half-time, Kristoffer Klaesson was forced to make an excellent save and he did just that, tipping over Vani Da Silva’s close-range header. 

The half finished in the same way it was opened - with Summerville taking on Jameson. This time, the winger got round the defender and was chopped down, with referee Andrew Kitchen having no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Summerville stepped up himself and emphatically dispatched the penalty to send his side in at the interval with a one-goal advantage. 

HALF TIME: Oldham Athletic 0-1 Leeds United U21

Jackson made three changes at the break. Summerville, Leo Hjelde and McCarron were all replaced by Stuart McKinstry, Nohan Kenneh and Cody Drameh.

The first chance of the second period came from McGurk. The winger, lively again, burst into the opposition area and struck a low effort which Leutwiler palmed clear.

The Leeds United wingers were proving exceptionally difficult for Oldham to deal with. McGurk and Miller were both constantly on the attack looking to add a second.

The former of the pairing helped to make it two, but didn’t find the net himself. After McGurk burst into the box and cut the ball back, Harrison McGahey - Oldham captain - turned the ball into this own net and the Whites were two goals to the good.

However, Oldham hit back and looked to set up an interesting finish with just under 15 minutes to go. McGahey brought the ball forward from the back and slipped through Zak Dearnley, who composed himself before finishing well into the corner.

Seconds after though, the two-goal lead was restored and in more slick-passing style. Lewis Bate was the player in space on the wing and he pulled the ball back for the hard-working Max Dean to strike low, finding the back of the net. Leutwiler was able to get fingertips on it, but it wasn’t enough to stop the third goal for the Whites. 

The third goal settled the match as a competition, but there was still time for another response from Oldham. Second half substitute Davis Keillor-Dunn produced an excellent strike, curling into the top corner to make get the second for his side. 

With the full-time whistle sounding just seconds later, it gave Jackson’s side their first three points in Northern Group B of the Papa John’s Trophy after a thrilling game of football.

FULL TIME: Oldham Athletic 2-3 Leeds United U21

Oldham: Leutwiler (GK), McGahey (c), Dearnley, Fage, Jameson, Stobbs (Diarra 45’), Bowden, Da Silva, Bettache (Whelan 64’), Couto (Keillor-Dunn 45’), Vaughan. Subs not used: Danielewicz (GK), Bahamboula, Simms, Edwards. 

Leeds: Klaesson (GK), Bate, Miller, McGurk, Hjelde (c) (Kenneh 45’), Summerville (McKinstry 45’), McCarron (Drameh 45’), Dean, Allen, Moore, Sutcliffe. Subs not used: Van Den Heuvel (GK), Hughes. 

Venue: Boundary Park

Attendance: 732 (108 away)

Referee: Mr A. Kitchen

Booked: Diarra (Oldham)