Leeds United 3 Wigan Athletic 3

Last updated : 22 January 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Brave Leeds battled their way back three times before crashing out of the FA Cup in a penalty shootout as Wigan booked a short trip to Manchester City in the fourth round.

The Premiership side led twice in normal time of the third round replay at Elland Road, with goals by Andreas Johansson and Jason Roberts, but Irishman David Healy hit back with a tap-in and a penalty.

Extra-time was the last thing Wigan needed just 48 hours after losing to West Brom in the Premiership, but Roberts nudged them back in front yet again in the 103rd minute, before Gary Kelly's first goal since February 2003 squared it at 3-3 in the 116th minute.

Richard Cresswell and Robbie Blake scored for Leeds in the shootout but Healy and Rob Hulse blazed over the bar. In contrast Jimmy Bullard, Gary Teale, Roberts and Graham Kavanagh were all successful for the Latics.

Wigan had just 250 fans in the crowd of 15,243 but they were soon cheering as Sweden international Johansson fired the Latics into a 24th-minute lead.

Roberts flicked the ball through the middle to his strike partner who shot against the right post before coolly tapping in the rebound.

Leeds deservedly equalised on 41 minutes. From a third successive corner, Hulse had his towering header cleared off the line by keeper John Filan, but Healy was quick to hook the ball in from a yard out, for his first goal since December 3.

Wigan's lead was restored five minutes after the break by a sublime piece of skill from Roberts, who controlled the ball on the 18-yard line, turned and swept it into the bottom corner.

The hosts were level again on 64 minutes after Matt Jackson handled Kelly's corner under pressure from Hulse. Healy blasted the penalty home for his 10th goal of the campaign.

Liam Miller became the second Leeds player to strike Wigan's bar, following Eddie Lewis' earlier effort, before the game went into extra-time.

Roberts headed in Kavanagh's right-wing cross in the first period but Kelly made it 3-3 with a glorious 30-yard strike to force the penalty shootout.