Leeds United 2-1 Queens Park Rangers

Last updated : 17 December 2018 By leedsunited.com

Roofe double secures Leeds win.

Sky Bet Championship


Leeds United 2 (Roofe 45+3, pen 53)

Queens Park Rangers 1 (Wells 26)


Leeds: Peacock-Farrell, Shackleton, Phillips, Jansson, Douglas, Klich, Forshaw, Saiz (Halme 81), Alioski, Hernandez (Clarke 86), Roofe.  Subs: Huffer, Bamford, Harrison, Baker, Davis.

QPR: Lumley, Bidwell, Cameron (Scowen 45), Freeman, Eze (Smith 78), Luongo, Rangel, Wszolek (Osayi-Samuel 73), Wells, Lynch, Leistner.  Subs: Ingram, Furlong, Cousins, Hemed.


Booked: Klich, Phillips (Leeds), Scowen, Rangel, Lynch (QPR)

Referee: P. Bankes


Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 33,781

Kemar Roofe scored two goals as Leeds United came from behind to beat Queens Park Rangers at Elland Road.

Leeds had a great chance to go in front inside three minutes.  Samuel Saiz found Pablo Hernandez in the box and he crosses for Roofe, but the forward could only fire a volley wide.

A minute later Leeds had another opportunity, Jamie Shackleton, making his first league start at Elland Road found Hernandez with a cross, but the Spaniard scuffed his volley wide.

Saiz again picked out Hernandez with a lovely cross field pass, he shot at goal, but saw his effort hit Roofe before bouncing wide.

The Whites continued to dominate the early stages, Mateusz Klich fired at goal from 20 yards, his strike deflected into the path of Roofe, but he was unable to get the better of the oncoming Joe Lumley.

QPR’s first opportunity came through Eberechi Eze, he struck at goal from 25 yards, forcing Bailey Peacock-Farrell into a really good stop.

The visitors took then took the lead in the 26th minute.  Leeds failed to deal with a high ball and Nahki Wells stole possession, went through on goal and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

The Whites had a chance from a Hernandez free-kick, Pontus Jansson got his head on it, before Ezgjan Alioski saw an acrobatic effort blocked.

On the stroke of half time Leeds drew level.  Saiz saw a shot blocked on the edge of the box before Hernandez prodded an effort on goal, which Roofe turned home from close range.

Half time: Leeds United 1-1 Queens Park Rangers

Leeds had the first opportunity of the second half, Klich found Roofe in the QPR box, he laid the ball off to Hernandez to strike, but he couldn’t keep his strike down.

In the 51st minute, Leeds’ 58 game wait for a penalty finally came to an end.  As Roofe latched onto a long ball Toni Liestner handled and referee Peter Bankes pointed to the spot.  Roofe stepped up and made no mistake, smashing the ball into the bottom left corner.

A minute after the goal, Roofe tried his luck from 25 yards, with Lumley just getting enough on it to turn it around the post.

Saiz then played Roofe in on goal with a delightful chip over the QPR defence, but the Leeds forward couldn’t get the better of Lumley from an acute angle.

QPR had the chance to level in the 71st minute.  Angel Rangel got to the byline, before picking out Wells who struck first time, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Jamie Shackelton did well cutting into the QPR box from the right flank, before letting fly, but his strike was too high.

At the other end, Rangers again threatened, Wells struck from the edge of the box, with his attempt going just wide.

Klich then tried his luck from distance, forcing Lumley into a good stop, to deny Leeds a third.

With three minutes remaining, Peacock-Farrell was called into action to make a fine save, tipping over a Jake Bidwell effort from the edge of the box.

Leeds then saw out five minutes of stoppage time and numerous long balls in the box, to record a fourth straight victory.

Full Time: Leeds United 2-1 Queens Park Rangers