Leeds United 1 Wigan Athletic 1

Last updated : 24 November 2016 By leedsunited.com

Head coach Garry Monk made one change to the side from Saturday’s defeat at Derby County for the visit of Wigan Athletic, as Kemar Roofe came into the side for Alex Mowatt.

It was a cagey opening period from both sides, Nick Powell tried a long range effort early on, but that was unable to test Leeds stopper Rob Green.

United’s first chance came in the 12th minute, Charlie Taylor put in a good cross from the left flank, but Roofe was unable to make the desired contact and his effort went wide.

Leeds striker Chris Wood forced Wigan goalkeeper Adam Bogdan into a good save 11 minutes later, with a fine effort from 25 yards.

Green was then forced into action by the visitors, Michael Jacobs tried a curling effort from just inside the box, which the Leeds number one dealt with well.

Leeds took the lead in the 29th minute, Hadi Sacko made a great run down the right wing, a Jake Buxton challenge couldn’t prevent the Frenchman from getting to the by-line and he picked out Wood at the back post who superbly chested down and fired home.

Wigan pressed for an equaliser just before the break, Will Grigg brilliantly cut the ball back for Jacobs to strike from 12 yards and he was only denied by the post.

Leeds then had Green to thank for the half time lead, from a Latics corner the Leeds goalkeeper kept out Nick Powell’s header with a stunning save, Buxton couldn’t put in the rebound and Leeds managed to clear.

After the break Wigan went close from a free-kick, Nathan Byrne whipped in, but Buxton could only head over the crossbar.

Immediately after at the other end Luke Ayling went close, his low strike from the edge of the box forced a good save from Bogdan and won Leeds a corner.

Pablo Hernandez whipped in the set piece and Pontus Jansson saw his header cleared off the line by Buxton.

Wood almost doubled his tally and United’s lead in the 73rd minute, his looping header almost found the top right corner but for a fantastic save from Bogdan.

Nine minutes from time the Latics went close once more, Max Power had an effort from the edge of the box, but he couldn’t find the target with his shot sailing over the crossbar. 

Wigan continued to press for an equaliser and won a corner in the first minute of added time. 

The visitors took full advantage of the set piece, the ball found Power at the back post, Leeds failed to clear and MacDonald snatched a point via the crossbar.

Full Time: Leeds United 1-1 Wigan Athletic.

Wigan team: Bogdan, Buxton (Gomez 62), Perkins, Power, Grigg, Byrne (Morgan), MacDonald, Jacobs (Wildschut 46), Warnock, Powell, Burn.  Subs not used: Le Fondre, Garbutt, Davies, Jaaskelainen.

United team: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Roofe, Wood (Antonsson 85), O’Kane, Jansson, Hernandez (Mowatt 74), Taylor, Phillips, Sacko (Grimes 66).  Subs not used: Cooper, Silvestri, Viera, Coyle.

Att: 19,861

Referee: Peter Bankes