Leeds United 1 Hull City 0

Last updated : 12 April 2018 By leedsunited.com

Pablo downs the Tigers.

Sky Bet Championship

Leeds United 1 (Hernandez 29) Hull City 0

A moment of magic from the returning Pablo Hernandez ensured the Whites returned to the Play-Offs places, seeing off a stubborn Hull City side.

Leeds came into the game on the back of a four match unbeaten run, but were forced into one change, with Hernandez returning to the side in place of Samuel Saiz, with Pierre-Michel Lasogga returned on the bench.

The teams came out of the tunnel to a cauldron of noise, with over 35,000 in attendance and a sea of colour, with Leeds United supporters waving their scarves high in the air to create a special scene of white, yellow and blue.

It was the visitors who had the first shot of the game when Kamil Grosicki tested the reflexes of Felix Wiedwald from 25 yards in the opening minute, with the German stopper making  superb save to palm the ball away for a corner.

Nouha Dicko came close for Hull when his shot was well saved by Wiedwald and Jon Toral nearly opened the scoring for the Tigers after playing a neat one two with Grosicki only to see his shot deflect wide on 12 minutes.

Leeds gradually found their feet and Kalvin Phillips was denied by a last ditch tackle, before the action quickly moved to the other end with Ola Aina firing just over from 30 yards.

United took the lead just before the 30 minute mark,  when an error from Hull City goalkeeper Allan McGregor saw his kick land at the feet of Hernandez, who ran in on goal before chipping over the stranded keeper into an empty net.

Hull’s misfortune in front of goal then continued when a Jon Toral shot clipped the outside of the post from the edge of the box.

Leeds were denied a second goal two minutes from the break, Luke Ayling’s cross was knocked down by Pawel Cibicki for Ezgjan Alioski, but he saw his shot saved by the feet of McGregor.

Half Time Leeds United 1-0 Hull City

Leeds made their first substitution of the afternoon at the break with Eunan O’Kane replacing Kalvin Phillips.

Chances were limited in the second half, Hull had an opportunity when Kevin Stewart headed over from a free-kick in the 62nd minute.

Lasogga made his long awaited return from injury, replacing Kemar Roofe as the Whites looked to seal all three points.

Defender Pontus Jansson strode forward and fed Pawel Cibicki into the box, but he saw his shot go narrowly over the bar from a narrow angle.

Leeds continued to defend well and limit Hull’s chances, substitute Lassoga came close to sealing the victory, with a long range effort, in stoppage time, but his low attempt was well saved by McGregor.

As the final whistle blew, once more there was a sea of scarves, with Leeds moving back into the top six in the Championship.

Full Time: Leeds United 1-0 Hull City


Leeds: Wiedwald, Ayling, Jansson, Cooper, Berardi, Vieira, Phillips (O’Kane 46), Cibicki, Hernandez (Pennington 90),, Alioski, Roofe (Lassoga 76): Subs not used: Lonergan, Anita, Grot, Shaughnessy

Hull City: McGregor, Tomori, Dawson, Mazuch (Stewart 31), Hector, Aina, Larsson, Toral (Bowen 73), Irvine, Grosicki, Dicko (Henriksen 80), Subs not used: Marshall, Diomande, Clark, Clackstone,


Referee: Stephen Martin

Booked: Dawson, Hector (Hull City)

Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 35,156 (1794 away)