Leeds United 1-2 Wigan Athletic

Last updated : 21 May 2019 By LeedsUnited.com

10-man Latics defeat Whites.

Sky Bet Championship


Leeds United 1 (Bamford 17)

Wigan Athletic 2 (Massey 44, 62)


Leeds: Casilla, Ayling, Berardi, Jansson, Alioski, Phillips (Forshaw 45), Klich (Clarke 70), Roberts, Hernandez, Harrison, Bamford (Roofe 45).  Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Dallas, Davis, Shackleton.

Wigan: Walton, Byrne, Robinson, Morsy, Massey (Powell 75), James (Garner 90), Naismith, Kipre, Dunkley, Clarke (Olsson 67), Evans.  Subs: Evans, Gibson, Windass, Roberts.


Booked: Ayling, Berardi, Klich (Leeds), Walton, Evans, Powell (Wigan)

Sent off: Kipre (Wigan)

Referee: S. Duncan


Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 34,758 (743 Wigan)


Two goals from Gavin Massey, saw 10-man Wigan Athletic defeat Leeds United 2-1 at Elland Road, denting the hopes of a Whites promotion.

Leeds had a great chance inside three minutes, Jack Harrison got to the byline and his cross just evaded the oncoming Patrick Bamford, it did fall to Pablo Hernandez though, who saw his strike superbly blocked by a combination of Cedric Kipre and goalkeeper Christian Walton.

Wigan went close through forward Leon Clarke, he headed just wide, following a decent cross from Antonee Robinson.

Leeds won a penalty in the 14th minute, when Kipre handled on the line to prevent Bamford from scoring.  The Wigan defender was given a straight red card, but Pablo Hernandez saw his penalty hit the post, before Harrison saw a strike from the edge of the box go wide.

However, a minute after the penalty miss, Leeds took the lead.  Bamford superbly controlled the ball with his chest, before firing across goal into the far corner with a fine finish.

Wigan had a great chance to level in the 23rd minute, a back-pass allowed Clarke in, he rounded Casilla who came out a long way, but his chipped effort was off target, with the Leeds defence racing back.

Pablo Hernandez then showed great skill, including a nutmeg to break into the Wigan box, but he saw his effort well blocked.

Pontus Jansson saw a header saved at a corner, before Bamford played Hernandez into the Wigan box, but nobody could get on the end of his cut back.

With four minutes of the first half remaining, Tyler Roberts went close from a corner, his shot was headed off the line by Wigan’s Kal Naismith.

Wigan however levelled just before the break, Lee Evans played in Massey and he fired home.

Half time: Leeds United 1-1 Wigan Athletic


Marcelo Bielsa made two changes at the break, with Adam Forshaw and Kemar Roofe replacing Kalvin Phillips and Tyler Roberts.

Hernandez had the first opportunity of the second half, pulling an effort wide from the edge of the box.

Luke Ayling then saw a strike blocked, before Kemar Roofe was denied from close range after being found by Mateusz Klich.

Klich then struck a half volley from 20 yards, with his rising strike almost finding the top corner.

However, Wigan extended their lead in the 62nd minute, Nathan Byrne’s cross was headed back across goal by Clarke for Massey to head home his second.

Hernandez then had two attempts, at goal, first he was denied by Walton, before striking over.

Reece James almost extended Wigan’s lead in the 72nd minute, with his free-kick striking the crossbar.

Alioski then tried his luck from range forcing Walton to parry, before at the other end, James drove forward before striking wide.

Walton made a great save to deny Hernandez from the edge of the box, with the Whites throwing the kitchen sink at the Latics to no avail, as the visitors held on boosting their survival hopes and denting Leeds United’s automatic promotion hopes.

Full time: