Huddersfield Town 2 Leeds United 1

Last updated : 15 March 2017 By

Huddersfield Town 2 (Brown 27, Hefele 89) Leeds United 1 (Wood 35)

Head coach Garry Monk made three changes from the side that beat Blackburn in midweek, with Ronaldo Vieira, Souleymane Doukara and Pablo Hernandez coming into the side, with new signings Modou Barrow and Alfonso Pedraza named on the bench.

United had a fine chance inside four minutes, Hernandez played in Chris Wood, who drove forward before firing at goal from a narrow angle, but he was denied by a really good save from Danny Ward.

Huddersfield created a good opportunity of their own in the 21st minute, Colin Quaner went through on goal, but Rob Green in the United goal kept the scores level.

A Pontus Jansson clearance almost found its way into the back of the Leeds net, when it deflected off Quaner, the ball looped over Green and thankfully for United, over the crossbar.

Huddersfield did go in front though, just a minute later, Jansson made a good tackle on the edge of the box, before the ball found its way to Tommy Smith whose cross was slotted home by substitute Isaiah Brown with his first touch.

United did find a leveller though eight minutes later, at a Leeds free-kick, Hernandez's second ball found Kyle Bartley, who flicked on for Wood and the United striker supplied some sublime control and skill, before putting the ball into the back of the net.

The Terriers almost hit back immediately, United had Gaetano Berardi to thank, he made a superb block to deny Elias Kachunga's close range effort.

The home side continued to press for a second goal and were only denied when Green made another brilliant save to deny Quaner.

Michael Hefele then went close at a Town set-piece, he met Aaron Mooy's corner, but could only head wide as the two sides went in level at the break.

Half Time: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leeds United

Stuart Dallas went close after the break, a corner fell to him on the edge of the box, but he saw his effort well blocked.

Huddersfield had a great chance to go back in front in the 62nd minute, Kachunga put in a brilliant low ball, but Rajiv Van La Parra was unable to get on the end of it.

Quaner should have scored for the hosts two minutes later, he was picked out in the area by Brown, but his mis-kick, ensured Leeds survived.

Following the missed chance, Leeds charged up-field and debutant Pedraza introduced from the bench, brought a really good save out of Ward in the Huddersfield net with a long range effort.

The home side again went close, this time from a corner, Kyle Bartley headed the ball back to Mooy, who broke into the area, before firing low, with Green on hand again to prevent Huddersfield from regaining the lead.

Christopher Schindler then put a ball right across the face of goal for the Terriers, but nobody was able to get on the end of it, with the goal gaping.

However their would be a winner for the hosts at the death, Mooy's deflected effort fell to the feet of Hefele, who fired home to give Huddersfield the win.

Following the goal Monk and Huddersfield head coach David Wagner were sent to the stands, following a touchline confrontation between both sets of staff, but the hosts were not to be denied the three points.

Full Time: Huddersfield Town 2-1 Leeds United

Town: Ward, Smith, Hogg, Kachunga, Mooy, Lowe, Van La Parra (Lolley 65), Quaner (Wells 65), Schindler, Hefele, Palmer (Brown 25).  Subs not used: Coleman, Whitehead, Hudson, Cranie.

United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Berardi, Bridcutt, Vieira, Doukara (Pedraza 62), Hernandez (O'Kane 82), Dallas (Barrow 77), Wood.  Subs not used:

Booked: Kachunga, Wells (Huddersfield) Ayling, Bartley, Hernandez, Bridcutt, Jansson (Leeds)

Referee: S. Hooper

Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Attendance: 22,400 (1,958 Leeds)