Sutton United 1 Leeds United 0

Last updated : 15 March 2017 By

Emirates FA Cup

Sutton United 1 (Collins 53 pen) Leeds United 0

Head coach Garry Monk made ten changes from Wednesday’s Sky Bet Championship victory over Nottingham Forest, with Stuart Dallas the only survivor, as Billy Whitehouse and Paul McKay were handed debuts.

The hosts nearly got off to a great start inside seven minutes, forward Roarie Deacon had the ball in the back of the net for Sutton, however his effort was ruled out for offside following Maxime Biamou’s flick on.

Deacon then tried his luck with a long range effort, bringing the best out of Whites goalkeeper Marco Silvestri, who tipped the ball over the crossbar.

Forward Deacon continued to threaten the Leeds defence in the first half, again playing his hand in decent chance for Sutton.  Deacon pounced on a poor goal-kick from Marco Silvestri, charging into the area, he played in Bedsente Gomis, but the Leeds goalkeeper made up for his effort with a brilliant save to keep the scored level.

Following Sutton’s chance Leeds broke, Whitehouse played a really good ball into Dallas who controlled brilliantly before firing on goal, but he was denied by Sutton stopper Ross Worner.

Kalvin Phillips was next to test the Sutton goalkeeper, from a free-kick after Tyler Denton had been fouled on the edge of the box, but the Whites youngster couldn’t get the better of Sutton’s number one.

Just before the break Deacon fired at goal from the edge of the box and Leeds once again had Silvestri to thank for the scores being level, before Craig Eastmond fired wide.

Half Time: Sutton United 0-0 Leeds United

After the break Leeds came close to a breakthrough, debutant Whitehouse did well to cut into the area, but his effort deflected wide.

However a massive mix-up in the Leeds defence, followed by a Lewie Coyle trip on star man Deacon, led to the home side being awarded a penalty.  Captain Jamie Collins stepped up to take the spot kick and sent Silvestri the wrong way, to give Sutton the lead.

Young forward Mallik Wilks who signed professional terms with the Whites in December was then brought on to try and change the match, along with Hadi Sacko making a comeback from injury.

Matt Grimes attempted to find a leveler for the Whites when he shot from range, but he was unable to keep his effort down.

In the 77th minute, Grimes again tried his luck from distance, but his low effort was well saved by Worner in the Sutton goal.

The chances of Monk’s men getting an equaliser took a blow in the 82nd minute when Liam Cooper picked up his second yellow card of the game for a foul on Eastmond, reducing the Whites to ten men.

Adam May tried his luck from the angle of the box on the half volley to secure the tie, but his effort went just wide of Silvestri’s left hand post.

Marcus Antonsson then shot from 25 yards, to try and pull Leeds level, but he could only fire over, as the Whites bowed out of the FA Cup.

Full Time: Sutton United 1-0 Leeds United

Sutton: Worner, Amankwaah, Collins, Gomis, May, Eastmond (Traore 90), Bailey, Spence, Deacon, Biamou, Downer.  Subs not used: John, Fitchett, Gueye, Monakana, Tubbs, Shaw.

United: Silvestri, Denton, Cooper, P. McKay, Coyle, Phillips, Dallas (Sacko 56), Grimes, Whitehouse (Roofe 72), Doukara (Wilks 59), Antonsson.  Subs not used: Vieira, Ayling, Vann.

Booked: Cooper, Denton, Sacko (Leeds), Deacon, Bailey (Sutton)

Sent Off: Cooper (Leeds)

Referee: S. Attwell

Venue: Gander Green Lane 

Attendance: 4,997 (739 Leeds)