Charlton Ladies 5 Leeds Ladies 3

Last updated : 20 November 2006 By Kevin Markey
Eniola Aluko scored two for Charlton but two late Leeds goals made things slightly more desperate than the home team would have wanted in the closing stages.

It was Leeds who built the first meaningful attack of the game as Karen Burke sent over a cross that Lucy Ward volleyed over the crossbar.

Shortly afterwards a tackle by Jess Wright on Aluko presented the Addicks with a free-kick but Eartha Pond's strike went well over the target.

A long goal-kick from Cabey-Gooden later found its way to Aluko who sent over a cross that Leeds keeper Gemma Fay claimed well under a challenge from Natasha Dowie.

But Leeds hit back and a Sue Smith free-kick was met with a header from Ward, which Cabey-Gooden comfortably saved.

The enterprising start to the match continued when Aluko's electric pace sent her clear of her marker to send over a cross that was just inches too high for the onrushing Natasha Hughes to control her header.

Dowie then created two chances and was unlucky not to be rewarded with a penalty when Alex Culvin's late challenge felled the teenage striker, who also sent a strike narrowly wide of the upright.

With 28 minutes gone the Addicks broke the deadlock as Aluko cut in from the left flank, powered past a defender and lashed the ball past keeper Fay.

Hickmott then threaded a ball through the visiting defence but Fay did well to smother the ball just as Dowie was about to pounce.

After 36 minutes Culvin picked up a yellow card for a tackle on skipper Casey Stoney.

Michelle Hickmott's superbly flighted free-kick hit the upright and Emma Coss tucked the rebound home from close range to increase the Addicks' lead.

Leeds continued to battle and Smith sent a strike from the edge of the area narrowly wide, and the same player pulled a goal back four minutes before the break as the winger went on another jinking run before unleashing a 20-yard strike into the top corner of the goal, giving Cabey-Gooden no chance.

The Addicks made a great start to second half as Aluko sent Dowie clear within the first minute to cross for Hughes to finish at the far post from six yards.

Aluko's pace subsequently saw her carve out another chance as she clipped the ball over keeper Fay only to see the ball bounce wide of the upright.

The game continued in end-to-end fashion: Dowie was held back on the edge of the area and Stoney sent her free-kick low and inches wide before Cabey-Gooden was brought into action to save at point-blank range from Ward.

A break from Aluko saw the England striker curl the ball into the path of Dowie, but with just keeper Fay to beat she sent her effort wide.

For United Jessica Clarke let fly with an effort that flew well wide but with 73 minutes gone a long goal-kick from Cabey-Gooden picked out Aluko, who controlled the ball before sending a spectacular 30-yard strike into the top far corner.

Leeds were not beaten, however, and Smith sent in a powerful effort that Cabey-Gooden tipped over the crossbar.

After 78 minutes Nicole Emmanuel drew a tackle from Pond to win a penalty and Burke made no mistake from the spot to make the score 4-2.

Spurred on by this Leeds pressed forward and Cabey-Gooden made an excellent smothering save to foil Burke.

But the Addicks goalkeeper was helpless after 80 minutes when Emmanuel's looping header pulled the deficit back to one goal. Down at the other end of the pitch Fay made point-blank saves from Ashlee Hincks and Hughes before another quick break from Leeds saw Stoney save the day with a fine block tackle.

Young striker Hincks then came within inches of adding to the Addicks score as she turned her marker and sent a 30-yard effort drifting wide.

After 87 minutes the Addicks grabbed the all-important fifth goal following challenges from substitute strikers Emma Whitter and Hincks. The loose ball fell to fellow sub Maria Bertelli, who sidefooted her shot into the net from 10 yards.

Leeds' heads did not drop, though, and Stoney was forced to make another important challenge on Clarke before Smith send over a cross that Burke blasted over the bar.

The incidents didn't even stop with the final whistle, however, with Coss shown a yellow card for dissent after the game had finished.